In 1913, the Jewish community in the United States faced rampant antisemitism and discrimination. Books, plays and newspapers depicted Jews with crude stereotypes. Against this backdrop of hate, an attorney from Chicago named Sigmund Livingston had a bold idea — to create an organization with a mission: “to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.”
Starting with a $200 budget and two desks in Livingston’s law office, ADL was founded with the clear understanding that the fight against one form of prejudice could not succeed without battling prejudice in all forms. The ADL Livingston Legacy Society was created in Sigmund Livingston’s memory.
Each member of the Livingston Society made a lasting commitment to continue ADL’S century-plus yeras of work by including ADL in their estate plans. They joined ADL at the front lines fighting hate for good. The Livingston Legacy Society honors these individuals and their legacies.
Members of the Livingston Society have established one of the following gifts for the future. We invite you to join.
- A gift of any amount to ADL through a bequest in a will or living trust, including a contingent designation
- A 401(k), IRA SEP or similar retirement plan beneficiary designation
- A life insurance policy beneficiary designation
- A bank account, brokerage account or other financial account beneficiary designation
- Naming ADL as the beneficiary of funds remaining in a donor-advised fund
- Including ADL as a beneficiary of a charitable remainder trust
- A charitable gift annuity
Share Your Legacy
Please let us know if you've already included a gift for ADL. Providing us with documentation is the best way to ensure that your gift is used in the way you intend.
The Impact of Your Giving
$500/month could support ADL’s anti-bias education programs.
could help us amplify the voices of ADL’s global community at Never Is Now, the world’s largest summit on antisemitism and hate.
given in your will, trust or by beneficiary designation could ensure the fight against antisemitism and all forms of hate continues for future generations.
Become an ADL Insider
Do you want to receive exclusive email updates directly from ADL?
Get direct and instant access to a member of our team, who will share information about your impact, project outcomes and stories from the field.