You can stand with ADL and have an immediate impact on the fight against anti-Semitism, extremism, discrimination and cyberhate.
Here are some ways that you can make a real impact right now.
Charitable distribution from an IRA
You can make a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from your IRA and make an immediate impact.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70½ or older
- Your gift must be transferred directly from your IRA account to ADL.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to ADL, so while it does not generate a charitable deduction, it does not create taxable income for you.*
- You may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year (individual) or $200,000 (married couple).
- If you are required to take a Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA, your gift can count towards it, but your gift is not limited to your RMD. (Note: under the CARES Act, RMDs are suspended for 2020. However, you may still make a qualified charitable distribution.) If you are using a checkbook issued by your IRA administrator to make your gift, please send your gift as early as possible to ensure that it qualifies for a distribution in the current year.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support ADL, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator
* Due to recent changes in the laws governing retirement plans, please seek advice from your financial advisor regarding the tax implications of your gift, particularly if you plan to continue to contiribute to your IRA after age 70½. Your gift may not qualify for these tax benefits.
Congress has waived the annual Required Minimum Distribution from IRA Accounts in the year 2020 as part of the CARES Act in response to COVID-19. Please consider seeking advice from your financial advisor or tax professional to understand how recent changes to laws governing retirement plans may impact you and your charitable gift.
Memorial or tribute gift
When you make a memorial or tribute gift to ADL and honor someone special in your life, you’re expressing your love, admiration and gratitude in a very meaningful way. Your gift will honor your loved one and empower the continuous fight against hate.
Gifts of appreciated securities
You can use stocks, bonds and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to keep up the good fight with ADL. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
Please contact us so that we can assist you with transfer instructions.
Gifts of tangible personal property
You can give gifts of property, including artwork, jewelry or other assets. If the property is related to ADL’s charitable purpose, the deduction is based on fair market value. If the property is considered unrelated to ADL’s charitable purpose (this is more common), the deduction is based on the lesser of its fair market value and its cost basis.
Gifts of cash
A donation of cash is the most direct way to support ADL. You benefit from a charitable tax deduction while you help fight threats to our very democracy, including cyberhate, bullying, bias in schools and in the criminal justice system, terrorism, hate crimes, coercion of religious minorities and contempt for anyone who is different.
You can make your gift online with our secure online donation form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
Anti-Defamation League Foundation (ADLF)
605 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10158
If you are sending a check or money order, please let us know if you would like your gift to be used for a specific purpose.